E-waste is a popular, informal name for electronic and electrical products nearing the end of their useful life due to various reasons such as performance, breakdown, upgrade cost, maintenance cost, obsolete technology etc.
- Due to rapidly evolving technology & increased disposable incomes many electronic devices have a much shorter life-cycle than before. As a result of this, we are rapidly drowning in a tsunami of E-Waste.
- E-Waste includes waste such as computers, monitors, printers, accessories, consumables, cell phones, TVs, appliances like mixers, microwaves, ovens, etc.
How E-Waste is hazardous
- You may not give a second thought to your dumped monitor when you buy a new one, but it mostly ends up in a landfill, releasing toxins.
- E-Waste leeches toxic chemicals into the surrounding land and water causing irreparable damage to the ecosystem and malignant diseases to people living in a vicinity.
- Else, it ends up in a burning pile, which is even more harmful as burning of PVC & brominated flame-retardants used in electronic components, releases extremely toxic & deadly pollutants such as carcinogenic POPs (Persistent Organic Pollutants) & PAHs (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons).